Monday, May 7, 2012

Sutton Cooks – Sort Of


Hopefully, you live in a household where everyone loves green vegetables and eats them on a regular basis. Not so in the Fox home. We’re a die-hard meat and potatoes bunch. And it’s catching up with us. Truly it’s already caught up with us; we just have to turn around to see it.

In a never ending effort to get everyone to eat healthier, I’ve been trying some new things. Yes, that cracking sound you hear is probably hell freezing over because not only have I stopped in the kitchen; I’ve actually used the food processor. It’s all good. Nobody died. Yet.

About two weeks ago I came across a video on Yahoo about a smoothie. Normally I don’t even watch videos, but I confess to being in a state of desperation. With a few adjustments, this one turned out to be really good!

For the first time in recorded history, our household has eaten an entire bag of fresh kale! It’s a taste to season recipe. You simply disguise the green taste with fruit. But don’t go overboard with the sweet stuff! If you want to try it, here’s the link to the recipe.

http://screen.yahoo.com/spice-up-your-smoothie-29046570.html

The ingredients are at about 1:22. Sorry about the commercial at the beginning. They are why I don’t usually watch videos. Grrrr.

We love cayenne pepper, and use it regularly. It’s supposed to increase your metabolism, but in our opinion it really adds just too much bite. It tastes fine without it. I’ll ride my bike a little longer instead.

And yeah, smoothies have been en vogue for a couple years now. But pot roast and mashed potatoes just don’t taste the same in a blender.

3 comments:

  1. I love green smoothies!

    I usually do spinach but kale is so good for you too.
    1 mango
    1 c orange juice
    1 or 2 handfuls raw spinach
    a little squirt of agave nectar

    YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, that sounds really good, Jennifer. We'll have to give that one a try too. We're sold. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veggie smoothie, huh? Maybe I'll have to give it a shot. My mom has been trying some, and she's not liked any so far. I use the Magic Bullet a lot, but usually with a banana and some protein powder, or frozen berries and protein powder. Sadly lacking in the Veggie Department here as well!

    ReplyDelete