Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Sleepless Night


Usually I sleep pretty well. Working hard does that for me. But like anyone else, on occasion I don’t, because I have things on my mind. Except I don’t realize they are, until the damn middle of the night. Why couldn’t I lay awake in the beginning? Or wake up early thinking about stuff?
No. It’s got to be 2:30 in the frickin’ morning. Can you tell I’m grumpy today? So not one of those people who goes blithely about their day on four hours of sleep. I’m an eight hour girl, and if I don’t get it, shit happens. Usually to me, so you’ve got nothing to worry about.

The weird thing about this time though is it wasn’t the usual stuff that woke me. Not kids and their troubles, business matters, bills, the things we all worry about. This time, it was a story.
The plot line appeared fully formed, the hero and heroine showed up with personalities, jobs and everything. The title even came through clear as day. I was so surprised I actually laid there and thought it through again to make sure I got it right, and then spent time thinking about the research I’d need to do, etc.

I’ve started a file, and carefully written down all the information so I don’t lose it. And hopefully I’ll get it written over the next couple months. I guess I don’t have much choice. It’s not a type of story I’ve ever thought about writing, and during my waking hours this plot line wouldn’t occur to me. Which makes it even more interesting.
This has never, ever happened to me before. And it’s left me a little unsettled, to say the least. For the writers out there, does this happen to you too?

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Inspiration hits me hard in the night. I hate missing out on sleep, but love getting those fully-formed ideas "out" where I can play with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get these nighttime "downloads" too. Sometimes, they are great then sometimes when I wake up I look at what I write and wonder what I was thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete