Friday, October 28, 2011

Callie's Fate


Today we welcome author Lee-Ann Graff Vinson. Hi, Lee-Ann. It’s a pleasure to welcome you to Fox Tales.

Thank you, Sutton. I appreciate you taking the time to host me on your blog.

1. I see that your occupation is freelance writer. That’s very cool. Were you one of those people who started writing when you were very young, or did you figure it out later in life?

Although, I loved to write as a child and have many stories tucked away in a folder, it never occurred to me that I could do it full-time. When I quit my “real” job to be a stay-at-home-Mom, I thought perhaps I could take up where my childhood talents left off. After all, writing is something I could do at home, and most days wouldn’t even have to get out of my jammies.

I began writing my first novel when my daughter was six-months old, and completed it a month before I had my son (almost three years later). I quickly found out writing with small children at home was more complicated than working a “real” job, and jammies were only for bedtime.

I tried my hand at freelance, but the rejections weren’t to my liking –– neither was writing what someone else wanted me to write. I’m a bit strong-willed that way.

I guess my occupation should say “lucky to be a writer”. It is my passion, my release. When I write my mind fills with characters, doing and saying things I can only dream about in real life. And, just like in real life, I cry when they are sad and laugh when the sarcasm oozes across the PC screen. I may not ever see my name on the best-seller list, but writing makes me happy. And every family knows, ‘when Momma’s happy, everybody’s happy’.

2. Do you prefer silence when you write, or would you rather have your favorite soundtrack?

For the most part, my background noise used to consist of my children fighting with each other or the snoring dog. If I did have music on the radio, I would catch myself singing along to my favorite songs, completely distracted from the writing or editing process.

However, recently I discovered a website called AccuRadio. With this station, I can pick and choose my music theme according to my mood. And, oddly enough, I am able to concentrate better with it.

I just finished editing and re-writing my latest e-book to be published, called ‘Love and Liberty’. My writing is typically military motivated as it is a topic close to my heart. I switched from modern rock classics for the scenes that needed more energy or drama, to light R&B for the sexy, romantic bits. I think it actually enhanced my writing. I believe I’ve found the ultimate writing tool!

3. How did you come up with the idea for your current release?

Well, in the last decade, so many marriages have ended in divorce over one thing or another -- one of these being social sites on the Internet. So, I thought I would write about what would happen if you ever got to meet your online lover face to face. It seemed a timely topic and one perhaps people could relate to.

4. Tell us about your book.

When Callie takes the red-eye home to surprise her husband for their anniversary, she finds the surprise is on her. She watches as a blond tart in six-inch heels, teeters out from her home and toward a cherry-red Mustang, which is parked in her spot.

Enraged, Callie does the only thing she can do. She drives to her favorite coffee house, scrolls through divorce lawyers who claim to eat cheating husbands for breakfast, and cries. Her only consolation is, Christian, a Marine, whom she befriended on a chat site almost a year earlier.

While waiting for her marriage to end, Callie agrees to finally meet Christian in person. She was a woman in control, but the mere touch of this man had her begging for more. Christian was only too happy to oblige, leaving Callie agreeing with the motto ‘The Few And The Proud’. She had never experienced a man, who could make her see stars, but Christian did his duty and did it well.

Unhappy circumstances had brought them together. A week of sexual bliss made it impossible for them to part, leaving them to wonder how they could, once again, test the hands of fate.

 Let's get personal.
5. Mountains or beach?

Beach with a view of the mountains, preferably at sunset. I live in Vancouver, it’s what I’m used looking at. It sounds divine!

 6. Wine or chocolate?

Both. Never write without either. I’m just a gal who wants it all. Amen! I'm with you on that one.

Let's get back to work.

7. What’s next for Lee-Ann?

Right now, I’m working on edits to my next novel, ‘Love and Liberty’. It is a military suspense romance that takes place in Iraq. After that, I have a novel I’m currently working on which is set in Afghanistan. I’ve also signed up for NaNoWriMo starting November 1st. We shall see how that ends up. It’s my first year doing it. I have also started doing reviews for Great Minds Think Aloud. Crazy busy? Maybe, but I cherish every second of it. After all, isn’t happiness in life what we all strive for?

8. Where can we follow, find, or friend you?

Blog: http: //www.leeanngraffvinson.blogspot.com/
GSP: www.gs.com/LGV.html

Thanks so much for spending time with us today, Lee-Ann. We wish you much success with your book! 

6 comments:

  1. Cool! Callies's Fate is very spicy, for those who like a touch of salsa with their chips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great read Lee-Ann, I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salsa with my chips please. It sounds really good (the book too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool how we can take things from real life and turn them into a story. Good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, ladies for stopping by. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete