Friday, November 4, 2011

The Silver House


This week I’d like to introduce author Janet French. She’s written an epic fantasy that has something for everyone. Welcome to Fox Tales, Janet. Let’s get started, shall we?
Thanks Sutton. It’s good to be here.

1.   Do you write full time, or do you have an evil day job?

I am not very diligent so I don’t think I would enjoy writing full time, I need people and variety. I am lucky to have worked for myself for the last twenty years and I love my work. I keep a craft shop so I am obliged to embroider or knit all day until a customer comes in, then I can talk about crafts. Pretty good! The shop will be quieter over winter so I should be able to write some days. If I don’t we will never know what happens next in the Cardanon Chronicles and I would like to find out myself. I only work off a very broad outline!

2.   When you write, do you feel more comfortable writing in the same place, such as an office or desk, or can you write anywhere?

Anywhere, as long as I have a keyboard and a screen! Can’t get on with that papery stuff.

3.   Do you prefer music, other noise, or total silence when the creative juices are flowing?

Silence please, otherwise my mind wanders. It really doesn’t need any encouragement. I can just about keep up the Twitter addiction without slowing the writing down.

4.   When you’re not writing, do you have a favorite non-writing activity?

Crafts, of course, but especially bobbin lace making. That is a hardcore craft for an obsessive personality. I just googled bobbin lace to be sure it was what I thought. Wow! Folks, if you aren’t sure, look it up. This woman is amazing. Bobbin lace is absolutely beautiful!

5.   I can’t wait any longer, how did you come up with the idea for this book?

It just grew really. I had been thinking for years about the natural forces that shape the world and the masculine/feminine balance in witchcraft and magic. That led me on to wondering how governments would handle a religious power when it was obvious the power was real and not a faith issue. One day I saw Marka and Genya in their cellar, clear as could be in my mind and just as they are in Chapter 2. After that, well, surely dragons, handsome heroes, cute children, a lot of adventure and a splash of humour is the obvious way to go, don’t you think?

6.   Please tell us about your current release.

The Silver House is a House of Power in the city of Cardanon. It is a refuge for the city’s children during the Zashran siege but when the city falls the House is hidden out of this world. A group of refugees from the city, mostly in their teens or younger, escape together and set off to find safety. They face all sorts of adventures as they travel and explore their world and soon realise not only must they warn the world about the Zashran, but the fate of the Silver House is in their hands. Oh, and there is treachery in the Houses of Power, a murder mystery, love stories, battles, magic, politics and loads of history and geography. Something for everyone, surely!

7.   What’s next for Janet French?

As far as writing goes I am pushing on as fast as I can with book 2 of the Chronicles, The Ruby Princess, and I am working on some silly stories for my grandsons who seem to like them. As to the rest, I am designing for cross stitch kits and bobbin lace and enjoying keeping shop.

8.   Where can we find you, to follow this fantastic series?

You can check out http://www.cardanonchronicles.com/, all my contact stuff is there plus how to buy. It’s all on my Gypsy Shadow author page as well http://www.gypsyshadow.com/JanetFrench.html#top with an excerpt. Do follow me @cardachronicles, I love Twitter and I won’t overwhelm you with Tweets, just now and then when I can’t help myself. Maybe if you ask how the writing is going once in a while it will keep my nose to the grindstone!

Thank you very much for being with us today, Janet and being kind enough to give us a glimpse into your world. We wish you every success with your current release, and the rest of the series.

3 comments:

  1. Bobbin Lace . . . how special. It looks like a very difficult and precise craft. I'm a crafter myself, but have never tried bobbin lace. Probably just as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Chalaedra! Great to see you around. Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for interviewing Janet, Sutton. Janet, I had to Google bobbin lace, as well, and it looks positively beautiful! I envy your abilities to craft; if only I had two good hands to be able to do such meticulous crafting. I loved The Silver House and can't wait to read your next book. My best wishes to you on much success!

    ReplyDelete