Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Renegade Renovation #2 – Ode to the Flo’ Ho



Time to remove the carpet. With a little help from a pry bar I managed to raise a corner of the carpet to see what was underneath. (Please let it be oak, or if wishes really come true how about walnut?)

Alas. Resting comfortably under the blue businesslike carpet is ... another layer of carpet! This time, it’s green. And, oh, did I mention it’s glued to the floor?

It has to come up. And come up it does. Along with what seems like miles of tack strip. Hats off to the installers. They made sure those strips were tacked down every six inches. Good job, guys. It only took me two hours to pull them all up.

In case you’re wondering what the floor looks like now, here’s a picture. Under all that black rubber goo is what may have been a lovely pine floor. Hence the title of this column.

Have you ever used a floor scraper? Funny, to me it looks exactly like a garden hoe. It wears blisters on your hands just like one too. Floor hoe, garden scraper, whatever. Looks like I have hours of work waiting, so I’d better get to it.

Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment